Thursday, September 13, 2012

Scented Pinecones

I love the smell of cinnamon.  It always reminds me of the holidays.  And cinnamon scented pinecones make the whole house smell fabulous.  You’ve probably seen them in the local craft stores, sold along with the scented brooms. 

So why pay for scented pinecones, when I can make my own?  With having a huge pine tree in my front yard, I found a nice selection of them and made my own baskets of scented pinecones!

For this project I used:
Pinecones
Essential Oil- Cinnamon
A spray bottle
Cinnamon Sticks
Basket
Assorted Ornaments

Once you have chosen your pinecones, you would need to wash them in the sink and then place them on a cookie sheet and put them in a 200 degree oven for an hour.  This not only cleans them up, but dries them out  and opens them up completely.  Be sure to keep a close eye on them while in the oven for safety.
Then add your essential oil to a spray bottle and spray the pinecones thoroughly.  (You can find essential oils at most craft stores.  They are relatively inexpensive and come in all sorts of scents!)
Place your pinecones inside ziplock bags and let them sit for 24 hours.  Then pull them out and allow them to air dry.  They will smell wonderful!

Pinecones make wonderful decorations and centerpieces for the holidays.  I like to pile them into a basket, and add an assortment of ornaments and cinnnamon sticks for a festive look.  A simple, inexpensive centerpiece that will make your room smell like the holidays.

No comments: